Thursday, November 22, 2012

#47 At Sea 11-21 Island Formal

5206  Diana and I with Jessica, the International Concierge.

5208  I wanted to show you the full length lava-lava under my formal jacket.  Sometimes you just have to be a little goofy.

 

Nov 21 – At Sea.   There’s an old adage that says, “It’s better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.”  I’m ready for this day at sea although it’s another 23 hour day and that I could do without.  Not much unusual today, except for me that is.  It’s a formal evening tonight and I’m planning my once a trip rebellion.  I never totally ignore getting dressed up on formal nights but I do sometimes take an unusual approach.  Since we are between Fiji and Samoa today I’m giving a nod to those two cultures by wearing my Samoan lava-lava that I purchases some years ago on a previous visit.  I’ll wear it with my white dinner jacket, formal shirt, abalone bow tie and formal shoes.  I plan to wear the floral necklace I got yesterday on Fiji and carry a war club Diana bought there.  My odd getups always elicit smiles from the dining room staff and so far management has not objected to any of them.

 

This evening when I arrived at our table I was surprised to see that an additional chair had been added.  We’re being joined by an officer for dinner.  Lucky us, it’s Jessica the International Concierge on board.  She’s a 20-something (could be 30-something but I don’t think so) Dutch girl that I see at the front desk occasionally.  When an officer visits your table you get wine on them so everyone likes having them.

 

We had a very nice dinner.  Jessica found her way to the ships in an unusual manner.  In Holland they can request to spend part of their high school time in Curaçao.  She did not get picked so after graduation she decided to go there and spend 6 months.  Three years later she had her first contract with HAL and she’s currently almost done with her second.  If I have my math right that would make her 23-24.  HAL has lots of its Southern Caribbean cruises stop in the ABC (Aruba, Bonaire & Curaçao) islands because they used to be Dutch and are still somewhat affiliated with Holland.  Being formal night the menu was overloaded with really good selections.  I had the Beef Wellington.  The HAL recipe for this is absolutely great!

 

After dinner we posed for pictures and headed for the Queen’s Lounge.  Graffiti Classics is performing again this evening and there’s nothing quite like classical music with a sense of humor.  They were great again!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment